Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Peter's Blue Shirt

Ok, so I made a Peter's Camp Outfit for LWW's premiere for a friend. This time the same friend is going to be Peter in his Brown Velvet Tunic Outfit. So I recycled! The blue shirt from the Camp Outfit is actually kind of close to the blue shirt under the Brown Tunic. So I decided to just alter it to be closer to the the Brown Tunic one. Here's a pic of what it looks like as the Camp shirt:

So I decided to make a decorative piece to go around the neckline. First I cut a strip of fabric about 1 1/2 wide. Then I folded it in half and sewed it with a thin cord in the middle (that is sewn to one end):

Once you have a tube, pull on the thin string and with some huffing and puffing it will eventually turn the casing inside out. Cut away the thin string. Thread (using a giant safety pin) a 3/8 inch cord into the casing:

After the cord is in the casing finish the ends by sewing them shut. Then the fun part. Take a similar color thread and wrap it around the cord. If you have the exact same cord as I did, it will slip into the grooves of the wrap. If you stay in the same groove the whole way down, it will pick up every other groove (does that make sense?). Glue it every so often with fabric glue to help keep it tight:

And the finished product:

Then I just folded the ends under and glued it to my neckline:

It's a little more prominent than the original but I like it. Whoo-hoo! Now I have to rip out the sleeves (because the Camp shirt had semi-fitted sleeves) and replace them with full sleeves with cuffs. Luckily I kept my extra fabric from when I made this shirt 2 1/2 years ago! I know, I'm a packrat..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pack-Rat LOL

Lady Éowyn said...

Simple and effective, great job!