Sunday, March 30, 2008

Susan's Battle Outfit

Wow. I've gotten a lot done this weekend! Today I worked on Susan's Battle Dress. I had finished the muslin a while back (like two months ago!) so I finally cut it out of the real fabric. Well, fabrics. I had bought garnet velvet for the skirt (back when we thought the skirt was velvet) and I didn't want to waste it so I cut the overskirt of velvet. The underskirt and bodice was a suede cloth that I had bought for Lucy's Rust Red Dress before I found her velvet. I didn't have enough of that for a full underskirt and the bodice so I also used an embroidered taffeta for the sleeves and the front panel of the bodice. A picture is worth a thousand words:
It looks very Victorian in this picture but it's really not. And it's not quite that dark. I was so pleased with this dress but then I put the chainmaille on top and bummer! The sleeves are way too short so I have to length both the dress and the chainmaille sleeves by about two inches. The neckline is too high so I have to lower it about two inches too. And the chainmaille has to be altered to work better with the dress. =(



With the chainmaille it's SUPER HOT. I only wore it for about 5 minutes and I was burning up. Great.

Still to do on this dress: hem underskirt, hem velvet skirt, put gold embroidery on hem, put in invisible zipper, lengthen sleeves, alter neckline, and take in the waist a little.

And I haven't even started on the cuirass. =(

2 comments:

Leland Dantzler said...

DeLancey, you don't need chainmaille and taffeta to be SUPER HOT.

Dress is stunning, by the way. And Tilea's is looking fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Leland LOL funny post
I luv your blog and all of your costumes . Danceler your costumes are so sophisticated.