Monday, April 7, 2008

Edmund's Battle Outfit

I've been working on this costume for a while now but never had any pictures to prove it. So finally here is my exhibit on my Edmund's Battle Outfit. My cousin will be Edmund (brother to my cousin who is Lucy). Before you see pictures, I have to give disclaimers. This was a costume built on the extremist of budgets. I made the chainmaille from electric fence wire that I coiled, cut, and wove myself. The red suede is some I had on hard from forever ago. The brown fabric for the shirt I found at Hobby Lobby in the clearance bin for $2 a yard. Sadly there was only a yard and a half so that's why there's an extra band of a different brown fabric at the hem.



I like the brown shirt. You can see all of two inches of Ed's brown shirt (between the bottom of his chainmaille sleeves and the top of this vambraces). So I just made this classic pirate shirt that I had a pattern for. No, Edmund's probably didn't look anything like this. But I really don't care!

I like how the chainmaille's coming along. The length is about right. I might make the neckhole smaller and of course I have to add sleeves. I also have to add the contrast of gold rings along the edges. I think I'll try spraypainting some rings gold and seeing how that looks.

I hate the tunic. Hate, hate, HATE! Sorry. Anyway, I didn't have a pattern, so I thought I could just draft a pattern from my cousin's measurements. Wrong! I sloped the shoulders too much so the neck part bunches. I think I'll go back in and add a triangular piece to the top of the shoulders (kinda like Caspian's White Shirt) and that might help it fit at the shoulders better. It might also make it a little longer which I would like. By the way, I didn't realize the extra width chainmaille would add. I had to actually add more fabric to the sides of the tunic because it wouldn't fit over the chainmaille. I would say that chainmaille adds an extra 2-3 inches in circumference. Anyway, then I've got to figure out the embroidery on the hem and the lion, of course.

After these three pieces, I still have the leather gorget (funky foam?), the pauldrons (definitely funky foam) and the vambraces (ditto). I'm putting all those off. It sounds hard!

This week I hope to work on Caspian's White Shirt and finish my Susan's Battle Underdress.

2 comments:

Elenatintil said...

Hey! This is Elenatintil from Narniaweb...

I think you'll be much happier with the tunic once you get the embroidery on, and a belt. (Belts are amazing!!!)

And don't freak out about the vambraces. I haven't done the other armor pieces, but I HAVE done vambraces, and as long as your material is stiff enough (we used leather) there's really nothing to it.

And the undertunic and the chainmail look amazing! Way to go!

Alicia said...

The undershirt and chainmail are seriously impressive - especially the chainmail.

With re: to the tunic - first off, elenatintil is so right, the accessories and embroidery will make a huge difference. Also I think the brightness of the red is making it look more costumey, less real. What would happen if you let it sun bleach a bit? It might be worth testing with some of your scraps. The movie tunics look dusty and a little worn which really helps the realism.

I look forwards to seeing the completed project! Your cousin is really fortunate to have you doing this for him! Remind him of that if needed. :)